Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Belly buttons and boo-boos




Its been an eventful few days around our house.  Thursday or Friday of last week (I can't remember which), Lorelai's belly button popped out.  I went to google (the mothers be all information source) and discovered that it was probably a herniated belly button and nothing to worry about, but my mother, father and grandmother all FREAKED out.  So to appease them I called the pediatricians office to speak with a nurse about it.  I explained what was going on and she wanted to check with Lorelai's pediatrician and call me back.  When she did return the call, she let me know that it was more than likely nothing to worry about but Dr. Hawse wanted to see to make sure everything was fine.  My mom went with us to the appointment where we learned that it was a herniated belly button and it should close on its own by the time she is two, nothing to worry about.  We changed her clothes and left the room to check out.  The pediatrician's office has a bench next to the check-out desk, and I sat the empty carseat and diaper bag up on it so my mom could start getting her ready to go.  I turned to hand my paper to the lady, and heard a thump and my baby crying.  The seat had flipped backward over the edge with my baby girl inside.  My heart sank to my toes.  Nurses came running as I grabbed her up to check her out.  There was blood on her lip, and she was wailing.  One of the nurses takes her from me, and I follow her back to the room we were in.  The doctor came back in to check her out and make sure everything was ok.  By this time a knot had swelled up on Lorelai's head and the doctor decided to send us for x-rays.  So we walked over to the hospital, with the baby screaming the whole time (I don't blame her, I'd be mad if someone dropped me off a bench too), where they did the xrays and sent us on our way.  I was afraid to let her go to sleep.  But the on call doctor called us about an hour and a half later to let me know that there was no fracture and just some mild tissue swelling.  She looks banged up, but she was smiling by the time I got her home.  It was a craptastic day and I have no desire to ever have another like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment